It's no secret that moms have a hard time investing in themselves. Whether it's the lack of time, guilt, exhaustion or all of the above we have a tendency to put ourselves last. Every time. I can buy my son an entire wardrobe faster than you can say Amazon Prime and, yet, I have purchased myself one shirt since my son was born almost 19 months ago. OK, two if you count the time I used Kohl's cash that someone else gave me and "bought" myself a shirt with it. And, of course, I felt guilty that I should have spent that $10 on my son!
The other day I had a revelation about my own lack of self care when I realized that I have the showering habits of a middle school boy. This needs to stop! So, in 2017, one of my goals is to put a little more time and care into myself. I am going to treat myself a little more and make investments that will make me feel better. Because it's not selfish, it's necessary. When I am a better person, I can be a better mother.
When we take the time to invest in ourselves, to do something no matter how big or small that makes us happy, it will have a positive impact on how we mother our children. I have come up with a list of small things that make me happy. I plan to do more of these things in 2017 and not feel guilty about it!
Here are 10 small ways to be a happier mom:
(This post contains affiliate links and I may receive a commission, at no additional cost to you, should you purchase through one of my links. Please see my disclosure for more information.)
- Take a hot shower or bath. I know, who feels guilty about taking a shower or bath? I do! But not anymore. (By the way, if you want to make your bath an extra special treat, check out these easy DIY shower bombs at The Crafty Organized Mom!)
- Buy yourself a coffee or tea. Every once in a while I will go to the Starbucks drive-thru and buy myself a chai tea latte. It's usually only after I have acquired a gift card but in 2017, I'm going to buy myself one and not feel guilty that I spent way too much money!
- Go to Target, ALONE! This is one thing I do pretty well and I'm going to keep on doing it. It seriously feels like vacation to me.
- Call a friend. I love to text. It's actually my preferred method of communication but, still, nothing beats a nice conversation with a good friend. And since the majority of my friends live in other states, it's extra nice to hear their voices. There's something very comforting about it!
- Go to lunch with a friend. Get out for an hour or two. Be responsible for feeding yourself and only yourself. Don't share your food. Sounds like a perfect treat to me!
- Read a book. I know some of you have got this down. If that's you, will you please send me a message and tell me how you do it? I can't figure out when I will find time to read an entire book but I'm going to do it! I already have this one on my nightstand, waiting to be read.
- Do your nails. This doesn't have to be at a salon but, if you can, go for it! When I was pregnant, I got really into Jamberry Nails but since having my son it has become more and more difficult to find the time. I may have to settle for a quick paint job but I will make time to do my nails.
- Watch a chick flick... or whatever movie you want. I have seen 3 movies from start to finish since my son was born. Two of them were while flying and my son slept in my lap, the other was when I went to see Moana to write a review.
- Buy a new article of clothing. I don't care if it's from the clearance rack for $2... if you want it, buy it! It doesn't have to be a major purchase to be a treat.
- Meditate. Take a few minutes and think deeply about something. Focus on a positive thought, quote, poem or, if you are religious, you can meditate on a scripture or prayer. There are many different things we can ponder and get into our hearts and minds.
Treating yourself to things that make you happy, help you feel relaxed or clear your mind is not selfish - it's necessary. Our kids need happy and whole mamas, go ahead and give yourself a treat!
Want more tips on self care and encouragement to love yourself more? Join the VIP list!